Tuesday, March 5, 2013

I Need a Break from Optimism



Fellow Job Seekers,

I am tired and downright frustrated. Feeling lousy? That's me. Feeling blue? That's me. Is it you, too? Today I want to vent and maybe tomorrow as well. I need a break from optimism. I have put on a brave face for far too long. I need to strip it off and admit I'm scared, I'm sad, and at this very moment, I feel like giving up. I just know I can't be alone, so I want to invite you all to vent with me. Can we get mad for just a little while? Let it all out before we get back to the grind of looking for the job that does not seem to care whether or not we find it?

Are you tired of this?


3/5/2013

Dear Jobless:

Thank you for your interest in our Account Manager position. After careful review of your resume, we have decided to consider other candidates at this time.

Although you were not selected, please feel free to inquire about other open or future opportunities that we may have here at The Most Fabulous Company for Which to Work.

We wish you the best of success in your employment search.

Regards,

Human Resources
The Most Fabulous Company for Which to Work
How about this little gem?

Hi Jobless,
Thank you for your time and interest. After serious consideration, the hiring manager has decided to pursue other candidates for that particular role. If you are still interested in other opportunities with Amazon, feel free to apply to any postings listed on our job board at www.thebestjobintheworld.com.
We wish you well in your pursuit of new opportunities and thank you for your interest in our company.
Thank you,
Aaron
I have changed the names to protect the innocent, I promise. The innocent, who sometimes, I wonder how they have jobs and I don't. Screw you Aaron!
Ohhhh and those freaking phone interviews! Smug asses on the other side asking you shit you should probably be asking them. "Tell me about a time when you failed at something." Why don't tell me about a time when you got punched in the face!? Oh, you can't think of a time? Then come over here. I'll give you a real recent one. 'Tell me why you want to work at the best company in the world." Hmmm... Let me think...Cause I'm effing broke!
Yeah yeah, I know I shouldn't be complaining. At least I have my health...until the stress induced heart disease kicks in.
And thank you blogger folks. All of your advice about polishing the resume, networking, having a positive attitude is certainly helping. Not! Oh what was that? “First impressions are lasting impressions”? Thanks child genius; that, I will remember forever and forever and for-effing-ever!
I could go on forever. I really could, and maybe I should, but creating this blog has made me feel at bit better. I have to get back to "work".
If anyone out there, anyone at all, is sick of
Thank you for applying.

If your background and qualifications seem to be a fit with our current needs, we will contact you shortly. We wish you the best of luck in your career search!

Thank you!
or, any of the above mentioned responses to your real deal attempts to find a job, please feel free to post your experience and let me know that I'm not alone.
Sincerely,
Not a Loser
 

2 comments:

  1. I know just how you feel. It sucks to have people openly judge you just to end up rejecting you. I was laid off two years ago. I had a pretty good job and pay and for the most part I was happy there. Everything was OK for a while but now I feel like my family is starting to see me differently. My wife is always annoyed with me and I feel like my kids ask for things just because they know I can't give them what they want. I'm glad that you are being honest in your post because sometimes I feel sad, broken and ready to give up too. I know I can't and I won't but it's nice to know someone gets that.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lawrence,
      I think everything you are feeling is normal. Im not a therapist, but I would wager your family is feedong off of your sadness. They look to you to ascertain whether or not everything is going to be ok. They are probably scared too. Keep your head up. Something will come along. I have learned that it is also Ok to ask for help. Summon up all the courage you can muster and give it your best go.
      I wanted to create this blog as a place for people like us to "let it all out". Leave it all here on these pages so we can be better in our home lives and on our job searches. If you need to talk, email me. If you need to yell and scream, feel free to use these pages to do so.
      Good Luck!
      Tara

      Delete